ICEF has for more than twenty years promoted steps for a better international holistic and balanced Governance of the environment at both the political-administrative and jurisdictional levels. By “governance”, ICEF means institutions and mechanisms for protecting the environment and resolving disputes, to achieve a new and more integrated vision between environmental protection, the growth of the real economy and social development, with the large-scale participation of civil society. In response to today’s pressing global environmental threats such as global warming and climate change, achieving better global governance requires an integrated legal and institutional response as well as a careful design of sustainable environmental policies at the national, regional and international levels. The realization of adequate models of environmental governance is a very challenging and ambitious project which, above all, requires the shared involvement and co-ordination of institutions, businesses, civil society and the scientific world.
Environmental Governance, which institutions?
Since 1992, ICEF launched a campaign for the creation of an International Environmental Agency and an International Court of the Environment.
The idea of an International Environmental Agency and of an International Court of the Environment originated from the widespread conviction that in order to ensure the full and free exercise of the “right-duty” to the environment inherent in all human beings, either existing international institutions must be strengthened or new institutions created. By according standing to the individual, the International Court of the Environment would protect the right, including the associated procedural rights to environmental information, participation and access to justice.
- Draft Statute of the International Environmental Agency and the International Court of the Environment (presented at the UNCED Conference in Rio de Janeiro, June 1992)
- Campaign for an International Environmental Agency and an International Court of the Environment In 1998, ICEF contacted governments and parliaments of the world, demanding they express their views on the creation of these two institutions. All the answers received (87) are published in the Reports of 1998 and 2000 (see the governments’ answers)
- Global Environmental Governance: an overview
- La Governance dell’Ambiente 2018
- European Parliament Resolutions
- Study Document of the European Community, 25 August 1993
- 2018, Environmental Governance and Sustainable Cities (Governance ambientale e città sostenibili), ICEF-Comune di Roma, Campidoglio/City Hall, Rome, 20-21 April 2018.
- 2017, La Governance globale dell’ambiente, SIOI, Rome, 15 May 2017
- 2010, Global environmental governance. The need for an International Environmental Agency and an International Court of the Environment, Rome, Ministry of Foreign Affairs, 20-21 May 2010.
- 2007, The Protection and Sustainable Development of the Mediterranean-Black Sea Ecosystem, Venice, 24 -26 May 2007.
- 2005, Prevention and Remedying of Environmental Damage, Ostia Antica, 27- 28 May 2005.
- 2003, The role of the Judiciary in the implementation and enforcement of environmental law, Rome, The Italian Superior Council of Judiciary, 9-10 May 2003.
Environmental Governance, global challenges
Climate change and biodiversity
- ICEF Urgent Appeal for Ecological Truth – UN Climate Change Conference COP22, Marrakesh, 7-18 November 2016
- La verità ecologica sul clima: come arrestare la produzione di energie fossili
- Clima, biodiversità e territorio italiano, Montecassino, 26 April 2016
Sustainable development and circular economy
- 2018, Environmental Governance and Sustainable Cities, Rome, City Hall, 20-21 April 2018
- 2008, Economia e Ambiente: profili economici, giuridici e sociali dello sviluppo sostenibile in Italia (The Economy and the Environment), Verona, Palazzo della Gran Guardia, 16 May 2008
- 2007, The Protection and Sustainable Development of the Mediterranean-Black Sea Ecosystem, Venice, 24 -26 May 2007
- 2001, Etica, Ambiente e Sviluppo